It’s the moment you’ve been waiting for… it’s list time again! As I reflect on my journey in and out of dentistry, I am compelled to go back to the beginning: DENTAL SCHOOL. Since my last list was all about the hate, I need some balance. So for today, it’s all about the love.
10 Reasons I Loved Dental School
1) Scrubs! Who gets to wear pajamas to work everyday? How great is it to roll out of bed and get into something MORE comfortable?
2) Parties! With all of the stress, we really needed to let off some steam.
3) Gross Anatomy! I’ll never forget that ominous moment standing at our tanks the first day when Dr Spears gave us the green light. The silence in the room turned to an audible gasp as the tank doors opened and the dead bodies were raised to the surface. For me it was surreal. The best part, though, was leaving everyday with the nasty stench of formaldehyde seeping from your pores; with no clue that you stunk, even in fresh air. No clue, that is, until one year later when your nose was resensitized and the new freshman class was having their go at it.
4) Instant friends! And great ones at that. I had just come back from a year abroad in Spain. While living there was the most exciting time in my life, there was often a lot of discomfort associated with being alone abroad learning a new language. There were many lonely times that reminded me how much I love having close friends, even if they are all a bunch of greedy basterds.
5) Excitement! We were doing things that many people never get to experience in their lifetime… pulling teeth and doing root canals, to name a few. Not that I necessarily liked doing those things, but it was an adventure.
6) Two words, baby: Nitrous Oxide! Oddly, I actually can’t remember the name of that course. Was it Dental Anesthesia, or something? The day we paired up with a classmate and had to administer it on each other was, um, a memorable one. I mean, who gets to get high in class?
7) When my clinic instructor dropped my gold onlay down my patients throat! Okay, I didn’t love that AT ALL! Especially the new onlay I had to make, the new temporary I had to make, the new impression I had to make, the new 3 hour appointment I had to make, or the 3 hours sitting in the hospital with my patient waiting for his chest X-ray to show that he didn’t aspirate the thing. But I did love that it was my teacher, and not me, who caused all of the ruckus. *snicker*
9) Old tests! Thank goodness for those. With 1-2 tests a day, there is no way we would have passed some of those Biochem tests without some “guidance.” Wait, is that cheating?
10) Nerds! Put me in a class with a bunch of them, and for once I get to be the cool kid. Just kidding, all you GUNNER classmates of mine. Even though you gunned your way into ortho, doesn’t necessarily mean that you were a nerd.
How about you? Did you love dental school? If so, why?
Oh, and don’t you worry, dental geeks (or non-dental geeks) out there. Coming soon… 10 Reasons Dental School Sucked!
And… don’t forget to LIKE my Facebook page!